( disclaimer : I’m not an expert . Any recommendations are from personal experience )
Hello loves ,
I know it has been a while , but I’ve just really been enjoying my summer holidays so far and I proudly admit , I have been very lazy.
Today I would like to share 3 tips on how to love yourself . It took quite some time to figure these out myself but they have really helped me beat my relapse thoughts , negative feelings and bad days , and I hope that I can help you a little with them .
Again, I would like to emphasise that I’m not a professional or a doctor in this matter , these are just personal thoughts , aimed to ameliorate your relationship with your body.
Tip #1 : Take care of the way you dress.
Now dressing can be very stressful for people in recovering , including me and a lot of my panic attacks occur in situations where I get dressed . Yet clothes can make us feel amazing if we choose the right ways to handle them .
- If shopping malls stress you out as much as they stress me out , I’d recommend ordering online from time to time , but don’t avoid shopping in public completely , as this will only nourish your fear . I personally feel a lot better when I can try on new clothes in my room , a safe space with less pressure .
- Don’t keep clothes that don’t fit you anymore , and how did I struggle with this . Keeping clothes that are too small , because you think they might fit you again in the future isn’t a positive thing to do , it only encourages you to go back to obsessive behaviour . Buy new clothes in your size and accept yourself the way you look now . ( I’ll talk more about this later )
- Wear clothes that make you feel confident ! If you don’t like a certain outfit that’s okay , what helps is to accentuate body parts you like , for example, you like your upper body but your legs not so much . In this case , wearing dark pants and a bright or colourful top will focus the view on your upper body and you will love the result !
Tip #2 : Focus on your physical health too !
There is a lot to consider about mental health too for sure , but I believe good physical health is necessary for overall well-being .
- Eat like you love yourself . Proper nutrition is so important and I promise you will feel so much better about yourself when you eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, whole grains and in general whole healthy foods . The impact on your physical well-being are outstanding and you will have more energy , sleep better and feel amazing !
- Focus on the small things too , like having some plants in your room for fresh air , or opening a window at night, getting enough sleep and water, going outside every now and then . .These things may seem like nothing but they matter . Sitting inside all day is nice , but going outside in the sun for even just 15 minutes will boost your mood like nothing !
- Move your body ! Find out what is the minimal level of „working out“to make you feel better , that way you have great results on your mood with minimal efforts. No matter if it’s going for a walk , a run, doing pilates , lifting weights , hiking , riding your bike .. there are so many possibilities to challenge yourself and have so many health benefits !
Tip #3 : Mind the attitude .
The way we think and talk about ourselves matters , and we should always try to be kind to ourselves no matter what . A positive or even calm and focused attitude will help you a lot !
- Learn how to acknowledge the beauty of others without questioning your own. Comparing yourself to others is toxic and it drags you down , we are all different and we all deserve to be happy , so try to focus on yourself . ( Also : Surround yourself with people who inspire you and make you nothing but happy , if not , they are not worth it )
- Learn how to love yourself . And by that I mean mentally and physically . Learn to love and accept your body , whatever it might look like , because this is your safe space , your property and your home and loving it might be worth your while and WILL make your life easier.
- Realise that your beauty always comes from within ( cheesy , but true) . I used to think , that if I was skinny , had the perfect hair and skin , that if I looked a certain way I would be perfect , but boy was I wrong. When you start seeing that looks don’t matter to you and to most people ( to a certain extent they matter but not as much as you think they do ) , you start focusing on your character , on your relationships , on your kindness and compassion , on your strengths and that’s what is truly beautiful.
- A negative mindset will never bring you a happy life , but it’s okay to be sad sometimes and fall back , as long as you get back on track in time .
Finally ,I can only recommend you to write it down or talk to someone when things go down , learn learn learn about yourself and be kind to your body !
You deserve to be happy !